An urban oasis: Echo Lake Park is a true symbol Angelino. Your image has been captured in photographs, films, murals and even promotional postcards that were sent from one side to another country, the beginning of 20 century. Because after all, what image can make us better remember his Echo Park Red Bridge connecting the island in the lake with the rest of the park?
Privately owned public park:
In 1868 he formed a company to build the dam No. 4 – now known as Echo Lake Park. The water from the dam flowed through a ditch to shoot at a wool mill in downtown Los Angeles. By the end of 1880, however, investors like Thomas E. Kelly, bought the dam and some land to build homes and businesses, but faced with a problem. The City was entitled to raise the water level of the dam an additional 40 feet, which meant that the properties of Kelly (which now includes the commercial area of Sunset Boulevard) could be flooded. It reached an agreement in which the City would give up their right to flood the area, after Kelly donated 30 acres of land including the dam, to build a public park. In 1895, the park and its lake were opened to the public even in a somewhat primitive, but they bought more land and by 1907 the park was extended to the South Street Temple.
Echo Park and its boat
The boat has since worked since 1896 as the first structure built in the style Queen Victoria. The current position of Spanish style, was built in 1932, after the lake was emptied for construction. In the early years when he built canoes glided by the lake and the boats were parties at night.
Our Lady of the Lake
This Art Deco-style statue located north of the position of boats, was designed by artist Ada Sharpless and displayed to the public in 1934. The statue was originally located across from where you are now, but in 1980 was damaged and was removed from public view to be restored temporarily. More than a decade later, in 1999, Our Lady of the Lake was returned to the park.
The lotus flower litter
The giant pink flowers that emerge from the lake each summer, have dazzled visitors for more than seventy to us. Who planted them?, Remains a mystery. The legend says they were planted by missionaries from the Angelus Temple after returning from China. The lotus flower blooms in July and coincides with the annual Lotus Festival.