An urban oasis: Echo Lake Park is a true symbol Angelino. His image has been captured in photographs, films, murals and even promotional postcards that were sent from one side to another country at the beginning of the 20th century. Because after all what they can image better remember to Echo Park to its red bridge connecting the island in the middle of the lake with the rest of the park?
Private property to public park:
In 1868 a company was formed to build the dam No. 4 – now known as Echo Lake Park. Water from the dam by a ditch that flowed into a rolling mill for wool in downtown Los Angeles. By the end of 1880, however, investors like Thomas E. Kelly, bought the dam and land to build more homes and businesses, but were faced with a problem. The City was entitled to raise the water level of the dam 40 feet further, which meant that the properties Kelly (now includes the commercial area of Sunset Boulevard) would be flooded. An agreement was reached whereby the City would give up its right to flood the area, after which Kelly donated 30 acres of land including the dam, to build a public park. In 1895, the park and its lake opened its doors to the public even in a somewhat primitive state, but bought more land and for 1907 the park was extended south of Temple Street.
Echo Park and its boats
The boat has since worked since 1896 as the first structure built in the style Queen Victoria. The current position of Spanish style, was built in 1932, after the lake was emptied for construction. In the early years they had built canoes glided the lake and made parties to the boats at night.
Their Lady of the Lake
This Art Deco-style statue located north of the position of boats, was designed by artist Ada Sharpless and displayed to the public in 1934. The statue was originally located across from where you are now, but was damaged in 1980 and was withdrawn from public view to be temporarily restored. Over a decade later, in 1999, Their Lady of the Lake was returned to the park.
The layer of lotus flower
The giant pink flowers that emerge from the lake each summer, have dazzled the visitors for over seventy years. Planto Who?, Remains a mystery. Legend says they were planted by missionaries of the Angelus Temple after returning from China. The lotus flower blooms in July and coincides with the annual Lotus Festival.
The Echo Park Recreation Center
On the shore of the south side of the park is the center are the Spanish Colonial style designed by the same architects who designed the County Medical Center, and USC. The Center opened in 1925, replacing the club house. Second was the Recreation Center of the City. The Club House moved to 1004 Echo Park Avenue, where it remains today. The Center was built on land that was added to the park shortly after 1900 and had the popular play area and library. The park was divided by the highway to the top Holywood 1950
The extension allows us to reach the island has existed for over 80 years. In the early years had a second bridge over what is now the flurry of lotus flower.
Echoes from the past ….
According to legend, the park was christened with that name because the workers who built the original dam, claimed they heard echo when speaking.